Tuesday, May 17, 2011

::Corn Casserole::

 I hadn't made a corn casserole before, but they are something I usually like when I eat at someone else's house or for a holiday. I went on my search online and found TONS of recipes and variations. I found one that was submitted by Polly Woodard off of allrecipes.com. I only made a slight variation and that was using 2 cups of montery jack cheese instead of 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese. For me, montery jack cheese I pretty much the only cheese I seem to have on hand. This dish had a nice, crunch top layer and the inside was a creamy  texture, but had some heartiness with the use of the corn muffin mix. Oh, and the addition of diced green chilies was a nice touch. Enjoy!

::Corn Casserole::

2 eggs, beaten
1 can (15 oz) can cream-style corn
1 (8 oz) container sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 (15.25 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used 2 cups shredded montery jack cheese)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies, drained
1 (8.5 oz) package dry corn muffin mix

Pepper (my addition)
Garlic powder (another addition I made)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, cream style corn, sour cream and melted butter. Stir in whole kernel corn, cheese, onion and chilies. Stir in the corn muffin mix until just moistened. Bake for about 75 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean and the top is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


Ingredients!


Start out by beating the eggs.


Then add the cream-style corn...


Sour cream...


And melted butter.


This is what it looks like when those ingredients are mixed together.


Then add the whole kernel corn...


Cheese (gotta love it!)...


Chopped onions...


And can of green chilies. It says to drain...but I found that hard to do because there isn't really a thin juice. So, I just added the can and it was fine!


Stir all together!


This was my addition that the recipe didn't do..but I added a little garlic powder (a couple dashes) and a little pepper (a couple dashes).


Then add the binding ingredient...the corn bread mix!


For some reason...Jiffy stuff reminds me of when my sister and I were younger and we made a box of the Jiffy blueberry muffin mix that had probably been in the cupboard for years. It wasn't so tastey!


Mix together just until moistened.



Place in the greased casserole dish and bake.


Close up!


All baked up! In the picture it looks really dark..


So tastey! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment