Wednesday, December 22, 2010

::Puppy Chow Cookies::

Okay, let me just get this out there. If I go to "hell" it's because of "puppy chow." I think it's the devil...and I love it so much I can never stop eating it. That, my folks, is why you haven't seen a recipe for puppy chow posted on the blog...I don't make it. If I did, I'd eat it all. Okay, anyways, please let everyone know what I'm talking about when I say "puppy chow." No, it's not actually dog food but it's Chex cereal covered in a chocolate/peanut butter mixture and coated in powdered sugar.If you haven't tried it before, you need to now. If I were to be Jesus and be serve the "last supper" I would want a large bowl of puppy chow...that's how good it is. Anyways, when I was looking at recipes online I saw a recipe for "Muddy Buddy Cookies." For those of you that don't know, another name for "Puppy Chow" is "Muddy Buddies." I grew up with calling it "Puppy Chow"...so I call these "Puppy Chow Cookies." They taste just like the regular Puppy Chow, except in cookie form. Don't worry I didn't eat the whole batch of cookies! For those of you with kids; they will enjoy helping you make these...they are pretty messy once you get to the dipping part.
For those of you that will be at the same Christmas I will be at...these are one of the things I'm bringing!
Enjoy!

::Puppy Chow Cookies::

FOR THE COOKIES:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs

FOR THE COATING:
1 stick butter
2 cups chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
powdered sugar, for rolling

For the cookies: preheat the oven to 350 degrees an line two baking sheets with parchment paper. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soa, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. In a large bowl, beat the butter until smooth, and then add in the peanut butter and beat until well-blended. Beat in the sugars and then the eggs, one at a time. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients.

Shape into 1-1.5" balls and place on your cookie sheet. Use a fork to make the crisscoss pattern on the cookie. Bake about 12 minutes.  Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
For the coating, while the cookies are cooing, melt the stick of butter and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Stir until smooth, and then stir in the vanilla extract. After the cookies have cooled completely, dunk them in the chocolate. Then roll each of the cookies in the powdered sugar.

Recipe from: Tasty Kitchen (http://www.tastykitchen.com/)


So, I don't have pics of each step for this recipe either. For the cookie, the directions say it well. For the chocolate for dipping; I was dipping the whole cookie in the chocolate with a fork and then tapping it on the side of the bowl to get the excess chocolate off and then flipping it in the powdered sugar. When I put it in the p.s. I pressed down on it a little bit to make sure the p.s. stuck good. You can tap off any excess if you would like. I made multiple batches of the chocolate part; so I think you can (or I was suppose to originally do this) just dip the one side in chocolate. Anyways, I just figured the whole thing dipped would be more like the "real thing"...if you know what I mean! ;)


All packaged pretty.


Close up!


They have super cute  tins around xmas time! All ready to go for the Christmas party!

No comments:

Post a Comment