Monday, February 28, 2011

::Enchilada Casserole::

So I was looking for something to make for supper when I came across this recipe in my trusted Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church cookbook for ::Enchilada Casserole:: It sounded good and I had all the ingredients; perfect! I thought to myself.."hmm I wonder how I could alter this recipe into something good and interesting." Then thought...nope...not going to do it...going to follow the recipe to a "T." Then it happened...I followed it to a "T" and then BAM...I veered off the recipe and added a couple other things. I just couldn't help myself. In the end, it turned out to be a wonderful dish. I will share with you the original recipe and then note what alterations I made. Enjoy!

::Enchilada Casserole::

2 lbs hamburger
1 med onion
minced garlic
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 4oz can green chiles
1 can mild enchilada sauce
1 cup milk
chopped olives
tortillas (about 8-10)
cheese


I also added:
1 4oz can chopped jalapeno peppers
cumin
ground chipotle pepper seasoning
garlic salt
salt/pepper

Saute onion in olive oil and add hamburger; brown. Add  about a tablespoon of minced garlic and all oher ingredients except the cheese and tortillas. I sprinkled the seasonings back and forth a few times. Start out with a little bit and add more to spice to your likeness. Heat through. In a casserole dish or lasagna type pan put a layer of sauce down, then tortillas (i put two whole ones down and then cut one in half to fit in remaining open areas over the sauce), then sprinkle with cheese. Repeat that step so you have three layers and end with the cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes covered with tin foil. Remove foil and then bake for another 10mins. Let sit a little bit until you serve. Serve with lettuce, sour cream, salsa, or other taco ingredients.


Love having the ability to go to the freezer to get some beef!


The onion...


I had gotten a mini chopper as a shower gift but burnt it out already...so for xmas my neighbor gave me this...i have to get used to remembering that i have it!


It's awesome to use so you don't get your hands all smelly and your eyes don't water!


All chopped up!


Saute in some olive oil



The canned ingredients...until I added more! Oooops...


Adding the chipotle pepper, cumin and garlic salt.


Then the other canned goods!...or some of them ;)


...can't forget the milk either!


The filling!


Tortillas and cheese...



In the process of the 1st layer.


The cheese of the first layer


Finishing off the last layer.


Cover with tin foil and bake!

 


All baked up with some hot bubbly cheese!


It was really really hot when I dished it up to take a picture! Yummm
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment