Wednesday, April 20, 2011

::Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork::

When I saw this recipe on The Pioneer Woman, I knew this was something I needed to make. It reminded me of something I'd make up. Spicy and sweet. This recipe is easy, as it calls for a few ingredients to be thrown together at once and popped in the oven (this would work in a crock-pot too). I added more of the spicy ingredient...and it definitly maybe made it a little too spicy (but I like that). PS..sorry for such a long time between this post and my last. I was on a four night shift stretch, and during my stretches I do nothing but work and sleep (and even the sleeping part is hard to get in). Anyways, enjoy this recipe! :)

::Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork::

1 whole Large Onion
1 whole Pork Shoulder ("pork Butt") - 5 To 7 Pounds
Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 can (11 Ounce) Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce
2 cans Dr. Pepper
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Peel the onion and cut it into wedges. Lay them in the bottom of a large dutch oven.
Generously salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the pan.
Pour the can of chipotle peppers over the pork (include the sauce.) Pour in both cans of Dr Pepper. Add brown sugar to the juice and stir in.
Place lid tightly on pot, then set pot in the oven. Cook for at least six hours, turning roast two or three times during the cooking process. Check meat after six hours; it should be absolutely falling apart (use two forks to test.) If it’s not falling apart, return to the oven for another hour.
Remove meat from pot and place on a cutting board or other work surface. Use two forks to shred meat, discarding large pieces of fat. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard it. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve. (You can also refrigerate the meat and liquid separately, then remove hardened fat once it’s cold. Then heat up the liquid on the stovetop and return the meat to the liquid to warm up.



The ingredients (just imagine there are 2 cans of the peppers instead of 1)!



Start out with the whole onion.


..and cut it up in half and then each half in half.


Break the onion apart into the slices and place on the bottom.


Then add the pork. The recipe calls for pork butt, but you can use whatever roast you have/want.


Then, generously salt and pepper the roast. Since mine was still frozen, I wasn't sure how that would work, but I did it anyways!


What appears to be a whole lot of salt, is a few frozen ice crystals :)


The recipe calls for an 11oz can but the only ones I found were 7oz each...so I just used both.


The smell is so delicious!


Pour the can(s) over the roast.



This has spicy written all over it.


This calls for 2 cans...but I used 1 bottle (so I was 4 oz short).



Pour in.


Oh yea, I forgot the picture of the ingredients didn't include this ingredient. Ooops! Can't forget about the brown sugar though! :)


Add in the brown sugar...you can't see it in this pic because it already dissolved.


Bake for around 6 hours or until it falls apart and is done.
I then placed it on a cutting board to remove the bone and fat. Then added it back to the juice/sauce.



mmmm..shredded pork. My favorite.


The onions and peppers.


The juice.


Add the pork back to the juice, onions, and peppers.


I placed back in the oven until we were ready to eat.


Close up. I served this with baked potatoes and veggies. The Pioneer Woman served them in tacos, which I think would be great because it would tame the spiciness down a bit. Warning, if you don't like really spicy things this may not be the dish for you. I guess you could add less of the peppers if you wanted to try that!
Anyways...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment