Wednesday, May 11, 2011

::Creamy Ham Bake::

This is a recipe that I made up. I may be notorious for that. This, was indeed, not only good but very good! I had a ham in the freezer that I knew I needed to make soon. I don't seem to make it that often. When I was thinking of what to make for supper I thought I'd make scalloped potatoes and ham (since I hadn't made that before), but then as I was going to grab some potatoes to slice I saw I had some sweet potatoes as well. That is where I came up with this recipe. It's pretty much all your food groups into one dish; protein, calcium, fat, vegetables, carbs, you name it. It's probably in there. It also seems to kind of have a sweet flavor to it, and I think it's because of the corn I added. Anyways, it's easy to throw together and I think this will definitely be a crowd pleaser! Enjoy!
(Don't forget to read the post below this one!)

::Creamy Ham Bake::

Ham (about 1/2-3/4 a cooked ham
3 potatoes
2 sweet potatoes-peeled
1/2 onion
1 bag frozen corn
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can milk
Garlic Powder
Pepper
Montery Jack Cheese
French Fried onions

Cut the ham into chunks. Place a layer on the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish. Slice 1/2 an onion and spread over the ham. Cut the regular potatoes and peeled sweet potatoes into chunks and place over ham/onion layer. Place another layer of ham chunks but don't fully cover potato layer. In a bowl whisk together the soups, milk, and garlic powder and pepper. Pour over the layers. Add a layer of cheese and sprinkle with french fried onions. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Note: *The liquid portion of the dish will be kind of runny
*Depending on the size of potatoes you have you may need to use more or less. The layer of potatoes I used was just enough to cover the first layer of ham.


The ham! :)


First layer (in my favorite Martha Stewart dish).


Use half of this.


Slice and spread over the ham layer.


Regular potatoes; I left them unpeeled (just make sure to wash well!).


Then place on the sweet potatoes and another little layer of ham.


Then, place the bag (I just had one of those microwavable bags) of frozen corn on top.


For the creamy part...mix together the soups, milk, and a little garlic powder and pepper. I didn't use salt because ham is salty the way it is and with the cheese and french fried onions (which are very salty) I didn't want to make it too salty! You can always add more...just can't take out!


Ready for the cheese!


Sprinkle on a generous layer of cheese and french fried onions and bake!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment