Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mini Loaves ::Oatmeal Bread::

So there we were, sitting around the "round tables" outside of our main nursing classroom eating lunch. Little did I know that what I was eating would be a great conversation stater with two of my classmates who I hadn't talked with before. Long story short, we are now the greatest of friends and have had many laughs and memories since. So what was I eating that started this conversation? A sandwich made from my Grandma G's bread recipe in which I used mini bread tins to make it, hence the name "mini loaves." This was the first bread recipe that I had ever made, and it wasn't so bad. Who doesn't love bread? Especially homemade bread? So why don't we make it as often...mostly because we are scared or it takes to long. However, if you have never made bread before, I highly suggest making it, because if you follow the directions you won't have a problem. Also, the time excuse, that bread takes too much time to make...just think about it. If you have time to make cookies then you have time to bake bread. For cookies, you make the dough, scoop them on the pan bake them, and repeat that until the dough is gone, which can sometimes take awhile! With bread, you mix the dough, knead it, let it rise (so theres a couple hours to get things done), knead it again, put in pans, let rise (...more hours to get things done)...and then bake. I love the flavor of this bread, it has a little bit of a sweet flavor and makes great sandwiches. However, my hands down most favorite thing to do with homemade bread that is right out of the oven....put a smear of peanut butter on it. Ooo all that gooey, soft peanut butter and fresh bread goodness! Anyways, I hope that if you do decide to make bread, you try this one. Enjoy!
Oatmeal Bread
2 c. boiling water
1 c. quick oatmeal
1 pkg. yeast
1/2 c. warm water
1 T. salt
1/2 c. sugar
3 T. melted shortening
1/4 c. molasses
6 c. flour
Pour boiling water over oatmeal. Let stand 10 minutes. Mix yeast in warm water. Add to lukewarm, oatmeal mixture. Add salt, sugar, shortening, molasses and flour; mix, knead, rise til double. Knead down and let rise again. Bake at 350 until golden brown. Brush tops with butter.
Tip: Don't know how to knead? My advice is to think of it as "folding." Once you have your dough mixed up, take it out and put it on a clean working surface. Then, take one side and fold it and press it into the middle; take the opposite side and do the same. Then, take the "top side" and fold it in and to the middle, then same with the "bottom side." Do that for about 10 times.

Fresh from the oven!

Did I say peanut butter on fresh bread?...YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment