Tuesday, May 25, 2010

::Oven-Fried Onion Rings::

I don't even know where to start. I'm a basketcase of emotion...of ExCiTeMeNt; for this recipe! I love checking out other cooking blogs and this is where I found this recipe; from The Brown Eyed Baker at http://www.browneyedbaker.com/. Do you like onion rings? I don't go out to eat thinking "Oh, i'm going to order the onion rings tonight," but if someone orders them as an appetizer I may have just one. These are officially my favorite onion rings...ever! They are made in the oven but I can't get over how "deep-fried-like" they are. Personally, I like when fried foods are really crunchy. These fit that bill for me, these have the exact crunch as I would envision a perfectly made deep fried onion ring made just for me. Does that make me crazy? That I just envisioned a perfectly made deep fried onion ring just for me (oh crap!). What makes them so crunchy? The secret ingredient of crunched up kettle cooked potato chips. I was a little leary as I was making these because I didn't feel like enough was sticking to the onions. But I was wrong and they came out just fine. Also, I don't like when you eat an onion ring and when you take a bite you pull the onion out of the "casing;" these don't do that at all! I hope that you all make this recipe because I promise you that you won't be disappointed! Actually, I hope that when you make them and after people have eaten them you say "I don't mean to toot my own horn, but, TOOT TOOT, those were good!" Enjoy!
Oven-Fried Onion Rings
2 medium (or 1 large) sweet onions, sliced ½-inch thick
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ cup buttermilk
1 egg
¼ cup + 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
1½ cups crushed potato chips (kettle-cooked chips, if available)
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Combine ¼ cup flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne in a bowl.
3. In another bowl combine the buttermilk, egg and additional flour, whisking until a smooth batter is formed.
4. In a third bowl, place the crushed potato chips.
5. Prepare the onion rings by first dipping a ring into the seasoned flour, then into the batter (let the excess batter drip off), and then coat with the crushed potato chips. As you finish the rings, place them on a large plate. Repeat with all rings.
6. Cover a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. Drizzle the vegetable oil on the parchment-lined sheet and place in the oven for 8 minutes. Carefully remove the sheet from the oven and tilt to evenly coat with oil.
7. Working quickly, place your onion rings on the baking sheet and return to oven. Bake for 8 minutes, then flip onion rings and bake for an additional 6-8 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. While baking, prepare your dipping sauce!
(Brown Eyed Baker adapted this from http://www.notwithoutsalt.com/)

These make them have that perfect crunchy texture.

Making the coating for the "dry" part.

Sliced onions; I thought they were going to be too thick and wouldn't get soft in the oven, but they weren't at all!

The order of dipping; onions, dry dip, buttermilk mixture, and the chips!

Ready for the oven.

Another shot; ready for the oven.

All done! The picture DOES NOT do them justice; I repeat DOES NOT do them justice!
Find out for yourself!

Ready to eat.
Dipping Sauce

½ cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons ketchup
2 Tablespoons horseradish
¼ teaspoon paprika¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
Dash ground black pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
Combine all ingredients and refrigerate.
(Brown Eyed Baker adapted this from http://www.copykat.com/)

Mixing in the spices. I made this ahead of time and put it in the fridge while I was making the onion rings. I like to dip in things that are cold, i'm weird like that.

Ready to be dipped in!

No comments:

Post a Comment