Friday, March 18, 2011

::Meatloaf::

Meatloaf. It has such a bad wrap. Alot of people associate meatloaf with a brick that you could build a house with that was served at the cafeteria in your school days or a big hunk of tasteless meat. I hope this blog post is revolutionary for meat loaf. Once again, this recipe came from the, one and only, The Pioneer Woman (she has it titled "My Favorite Meatloaf"). This recipe is not one bit dry, but is so full of juice and flavor. This recipe contains freshly grated Parmesan cheese which gives it a very slight cheesy taste and a slight creamy texture, which is wonerful! One of my favorite things about this meatloaf recipe is the layer of bacon with the layer of a barbeque type of sauce; just adds so much flavor. That is where I would  make one change to this recipe when I'd make it in the future. I would double the sauce recipe so I could have extra for when it'd be reheated. The good thing about meatloaf is that the leftovers are awesome...for sandwiches! I hope that you try this meatloaf recipe, even if previous meatloaves haven't made your boat float. Enjoy!

Meatloaf:



1 cupWhole Milk
6 slicesWhite Bread
2 poundsGround Beef
1 cup(heaping) Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
¼ teaspoonsSeasoned Salt
¾ teaspoonsSalt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
⅓ cupsMinced Flat-leaf Parsley
4 wholeEggs Beaten
10 slicesThin/regular Bacon


Sauce:


1-½ cupKetchup
⅓ cupsBrown Sugar
1 teaspoonDry Mustard
Tabasco To Taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour milk over the bread slices. Allow it to soak in for several minutes.

Place the ground beef, milk-soaked bread, Parmesan, seasoned salt, salt, black pepper, and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Pour in beaten eggs.

With clean hands, mix the ingredients until well combined. Form the mixture into a loaf shape on a broiler pan, which will allow the fat to drain. (Line the bottom of the pan with foil to avoid a big mess!)

Lay bacon slices over the top, tucking them underneath the meatloaf.
Make the sauce: add ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, and hot sauce in a mixing bowl. Stir together. Pour 1/3 of the mixture over the top of the bacon. Spread with a spoon.
Bake for 45 minutes, then pour another 1/3 of the sauce over the top. Bake for another 15 minutes. Slice and serve with remaining sauce.

(*Maxi's Tip: Double the sauce recipe by making two seperate batches.)

Recipe from: The Pioneer Woman


Can't have meatloaf without the meat!



I thought I had all the stars of the show included in this shot, but I was miss a couple things.


Nothing like some plain ol' white bread.


Soaked in milk! This adds to the moist meatloaf and also helps to hold it together.


The cheese! If you want, you can buy a wedge of the cheese to grate yourself. I just went with this to use as a timesaver and I didn't know what else I would be using it for in the near future.



Gotta' love a little cheese!



Your typical seasoned salt.


Maybe this is the more "typical" of salts?  :)


Pepper. I was generous when I added this.


For the flat leafed parsley (which I think is Italian Parsley, or that is what I bought because the other parsley in the store wasn't flat) just pull the leaves of and make a tight pile to chop.


The binding agent to the loaf.


Almost ready to mix.


The bread that has been soaking in the milk. Mix together well and shape into a loaf (which doesn't sound appetizing)!


Bacon! Just start placing the bacon at one end and tuck the ends under the meatloaf as you go.



You might have to overlap a little bit on each piece.


And now for the sauce...the ketchup.


Brown sugar.


Ground mustard.


Mix together and add the...



Tabasco  sauce. I added a generous amount of this. Just add a little bit, taste a little bit, then add more as you like.


The finished product. Like I said earlier, next time I'd at least double this recipe. I would probably do it seperately too.


Add a third of the sauce and then bake for 45 minutes.


After the 45 minutes add another 1/3 of sauce.


I couldn't get a good picture of the finished product. I couldn't get the pictures to make it look like it actually did.


Close up and so good!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment