Tuesday, September 21, 2010

::Homemade Tomato Soup::

Just when I thought I couldn't get anymore sick of tomatoes; I make ::Homemade Tomato Soup:: See, about two weeks ago I was on a canning spree, of 90lbs of tomatoes. Yes, crazy, I know. In the end I ended up with two kinds of salsa, pasta sauce, pizza sauce, and tomato juice. Oh, let me not forget the late lights, an empty bottle of propane, and all the splatters of tomato juice; heavenly! Oddly enough, I used store-bought (besides 1 can) tomatoes for this soup. This soup is super easy to make and very delicious too. I love soups, mainly brothy type ones with lots of flavor. Since it's getting chilly out, soup tastes even that much more tastier! Enjoy!

::Homemade Tomato Soup::

3 cans tomatoes (I used 2 of stewed and 1 petite diced)
1 med. onion (choppe)
1 tablespoon garlic
2 cups water
2 chicken boullion cubes
salt/pepper
garlic salt
onion salt
italian seasoning
1/2 tsp baking soda
cream (can use milk or half-and-half)

Saute onion in olive oil with salt and pepper. Add 2 cups water and chicken boullion cubes; dissolve. Add the 3 cans of tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add 1/2 tsp baking soda. Then add desired amount of cream (I used about 1/3-1/2 cup). Heat & serve.

I think I add onions to everything..what can I say..besides...flavor?! :)

And garlic too! Did you know...if you brown/burn garlic...it gets a bitter taste? So, for the solution; saute the onions and then added the garlic.

No boiling up a chicken to get the broth...just use some cubes!

I added 2 cups of water to the onion/garlic mixture and then two of the cubes.

And you will get this lovely broth concoction!

So, I had one jar of stewed tomatoes left from last year, so I used that one, plus...

One can store-bought stewed tomatoes and one can petite diced tomatoes...

I then added the ^above^ for some more flavor...I sprinkled back and forth a couple times

The tomato mix...but not done yet!

I just bought this seasoning..thought it might be interesting to use in some things...so I added this to it....

and freshly ground pepper...not done yet!

A dash of sugar...cause...why not?!

Once everything is mixed in and before you are ready to add the cream (or milk or half and half)...you need to add Baking Soda. Why? Well, because tomatoes are highly acidic, they will curdle the milk if you don't add a "base" to neutralize the them. Baking Soda is a "base" that will do just that, and wahlah, you will have uncurdled tomato soup. Amen.


Add more or less cream as desired. I didn't add a whole lot, just enough to make it creamy looking. Before I added the cream I dished some up without the cream and ate it like that...and it was fabulous. But I tried a spoonful of the "creamy stuff" and it's worth the cream too!

Up close and personal.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment